After years of campaigning, we thought we’d have a #VicGasBan in June. Instead we have a new Minister for Resources, Wade Noonan. Wade will decide in August – giving us just a few weeks to make sure our Ministers know how important it is to protect our water, health, climate, tourism and farming industry by keeping onshore gas drilling out of our state.
This week, we’re telling Jacinta Allan, Minister for Public Transport that we need a permanent ban … so that she can tell Wade!
Please call Jacinta this week.
Jacinta Allan was Shadow Minister for Agriculture. She understands how important farmers are to Victoria. Contact her ask her to stand with our farmers by supporting a ban on onshore gas.
- Last year a Parliamentary Inquiry researched the science, the operation of the industry overseas and in other parts of Australia, and consulted with communities that would be affected.
- Two Labor MPs on the committee—Harriet Shing and Shaun Leane—came to the conclusion that the only way to protect communities is a total ban on onshore gas.
- Victorian communities have been asking for a ban for the past five years.
- 73 Victorian communities have decided to Lock their Gates to this invasive industry to protect our water supply, farmland, food and climate.
- On average, 95% of people in surveyed across these communities said they wanted a ban on unconventional gas.
- Farms cannot co-exist with gasfields. Communities are suffering stress and mental health difficulties. They fear losing their farms, their heritage and their livelihoods.
- The community has spoken time and again: there is no social license for onshore gas in Victoria.
- It’s time to transition to 100% renewables.
The most powerful way is to phone her office. Call Jacinta Allan on 03 5443 2144
Say you want to leave Jacinta Allan a message. Give your name and address and leave a short message.
Telling her you support a permanent ban on all onshore gas drilling – both conventional and unconventional. Tell her why it’s important to you e.g. to protect our water, economy, farming communities, health, environment and climate.
If you can’t call her, send her a short email
Email firstname.lastname@example.org e.g.
I am writing to you to you urge you to enact a full and permanent ban on all onshore gas drilling in the state. I believe that all onshore drilling – conventional and unconventional – poses a threat to our environment, farmland and climate. The ALP banned the nuclear industry in our state in the 1980s. That decision has stood the test of time. A full and permanent ban on all onshore gas will be equally well received by the community.
Mention Jacinta Allan and please use the hashtag #VicGasBan
Possible tweet: Communities want certainty. It’s time to BAN all onshore gas drilling @JacintaAllanMP @wadenoonan @DanielAndrewsMP #VicGasban